Last visit was: It is currently November 17th, 2018, 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: September 12th Photo Update: Wild Eagle Construction
PostPosted: September 12th, 2011, 11:17 pm 
Just a brief update from Dollywood. I was out at the park for a few hours today (Monday, 9/12/11). This won't be a full, drawn-out trip report like last Monday (I'll save that for Harvest Celebration next month). But I did want to share a few construction photo updates from Wild Eagle.

First off: Those of you who read last wk's trip report from Labor Day will know that the park was missing a key ingredient...sun!! Well today made up for that, and then some. You couldn't have asked for a better day to be outdoors. Temp. was in the low 80's, comfortable, blue skies, and SUN...lot's of sun. 8-) (Those of you who have not read last week's trip report may not understand why this was such a big deal today).
Oh yeah, and more blue skies & sunshine! (Did I mention the weather was heavenly today?)

Okay, moving on. I did notice that Apple Jack's Sandwich Shop has, in fact, closed for good. As you can see from this next photo, the signage has been completely stripped from the building.
No official word yet as to what will be taking its place.

Dolly's personal apartment above Apple Jack's also shows no sign of life. Though there are other hidden areas on park where she stays when visiting, so I'm sure she'll be well taken care of.

Now on to the main event...Wild Eagle Construction! :D
The giant blue construction wall now has a large Wild Eagle sign on it.
No construction workers on the scene (it was around 5:30pm when I took these shots, so their day had already ended). A few pics looking over the blue wall:
Now on to the zipline hill where the giant first lift will be:

Track supports seem to have multiplied slightly since last week.
Same supports you just saw, but from a different angle:
More supports, and a small crane of some sort can be seen here:
And finally, standing just behind the Mystery Mine area, you can see a very large support sorta hiding in the trees. A smaller support can be seen near the large one, but is harder to spot from this angle.

All for now.

Post subject: Re: September 12th Photo Update: Wild Eagle Construction
PostPosted: September 13th, 2011, 2:47 pm 
Co-Administrator/HHN Junkie

Looking good! They are definitely wasting no time on this ride.

Semi-related question: Did Dollywood ever settle the lawsuit with the Skyzip operators? Or is it still sitting idle? It looks sad to see buildings and structures for what looked like a fun attraction just sitting dormant. I felt bad for the person that had to stand at the counter and turn people away when we were there earlier in the year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: September 13th, 2011, 6:26 pm 
Chris wrote:
Semi-related question: Did Dollywood ever settle the lawsuit with the Skyzip operators? Or is it still sitting idle? It looks sad to see buildings and structures for what looked like a fun attraction just sitting dormant. I felt bad for the person that had to stand at the counter and turn people away when we were there earlier in the year.

As far as I know, they've both come to some sort of resolve and Skyzip has been in operation. Yesterday, I made it up to the area too close to closing time, and the ziplines had already shut down for the day. Last week (9/05), the ticket booth area for the Ziplines looked open (a woman was standing there looking bored), but due to the downpour, nobody was riding. A trip before that, people were ziplining left & right. There hasn't been any mention of the lawsuit in our local paper for a good while now. Hopefully all has been worked out between both parties involved.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2011, 2:25 pm 
Co-Administrator/Pumpkin Queen

Awesome trip report, Erik.. thanks for keeping us non-Tennessee folks updated on the progress. 8-) I'm going to put a link to this on the blog.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: September 21st, 2011, 9:46 pm 

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2011, 2:42 pm 
Co-Administrator/HHN Junkie

Interesting video. I'm glad to see Dollywood has items planned throughout the construction process to keep us following along. I'm looking forward to seeing future installments if they have design information as well as the elusive POV.

Offline Profile