Last visit was: It is currently November 17th, 2018, 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dollywood Trip
PostPosted: September 12th, 2011, 10:48 pm 

Decided on Saturday afternoon to take a quick day trip to Dollywood on Sunday. It was our first time. The crowd was light. Most of the rides were walk ups.

I loved Thunderhead! My wife who does not like coasters loved Mystery Mine. Her favorite was Dizzy Disk. Tennessee Tornado was okay. What the hell was Blazing Fury?! :shock:

Only being open from 10-6 we were not able to do everything (shows). I am sure we will go back.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dollywood Trip
PostPosted: September 12th, 2011, 11:31 pm 
Hey Mark,
Great photos! I missed you all by 1 day. Glad you had a fun trip. (What did you think of our lovely car show traffic? :roll: ;) )

Oh, and Blazing Fury is Dolly's version of Pirates, Big Thunder Mtn, & Mr. Toad from Disney all thrown into one. Great ride, but I don't get the story either. I'm guessing it's telling how you can escape a burning town by driving into a train and into a dark tunnel :?:

PostPosted: September 12th, 2011, 11:49 pm 

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: September 13th, 2011, 2:52 pm 
Co-Administrator/HHN Junkie

Great photos Mark! Glad to hear you had a good time. Thunderhead is my favorite wooden coaster. I love the pacing on it. Mystery Mine gave such a better ride last time I rode it, to the point I'll actually consider riding it regularly now. I'd still like to see the Dare Devil Dive cars on it though.

Did you eat in the park? (I think this is hilarious that Dollywood is the only park people get all excited to find out what people ate. :P)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: October 9th, 2011, 8:40 pm 

Nice Pictures Mark; I really miss Dollywood. Illness in the family will prevent yet another trip to Dollywood again this season. Made it down last year but they got snowed out; stayed closed for the weekend I was there.
Since I am totally censored from saying anything negative about, or concerning my "parent employer", I will say it is such a joy to see a company run by people who care, who are well trained, who are friendly, and interact with the guest's. Dollywood still uses music and costumes themed to the area. There is absolutely no comparison when it comes to food and snacks. I can't fairly comment on maintenance manpower or procedures because I am not familiar with them, but I do see a lot of happy smiling faces working for the company!
As far as tram service to the parking lots; I see many of them running instead of just one or two.
I see a well balanced mix of rides, adult and childrens, attractions, many craftsmen working with their various skills, and an abundance of very talented performers in the many shows and venues.
So that being said, and not being negative about the local park here, I give a great big thumbs up for a very good management team of bringing together all the resources and enough great people it takes to make all the magic happen. Congratulations!! It just goes to show you, it doesn't have to be Disney to be great...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: October 10th, 2011, 9:34 pm 

Since we were just there just for the day and my daughter wanted to ride everything, we did not hit any shows. She did stop and listen to one while my wife shopped.

We ate at Miss Stella's (Foot long corndogs). It was a quick meal and decision. We snacked at Splinter's.

The ride over the mountains in the dark was fun too.

Attachment:
IMG_0773.JPG
IMG_0773.JPG [ 218.34 KiB | Viewed 3695 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0752.jpg
IMG_0752.jpg [ 218.07 KiB | Viewed 3695 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0747.jpg
IMG_0747.jpg [ 105.04 KiB | Viewed 3695 times ]

Offline Profile