Last visit was: It is currently February 21st, 2018, 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: From now to 50
PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 8:53 am 
Forum Moderator/Deliverer of Logic and Keeper of the Peace

For some reason, I think we'd get the old back gate back long before we'd get just a footpath between the two sections. There isn't enough incentive to just put a path in when there are already three distinct routes into the Lickskillet section.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 4:16 pm 
Co-Administrator/HHN Junkie

The problem you have there is the path would essentially have to be bare, as the park is wary on installing anything, especially multimillion dollar rides in one of the lower parts of the floodplain. If you could build them up high enough to keep it out of the flood plain, it would be a good way to add space for a few new rides. I just don't see them going through all the trouble of building rides on stilts, building a pedestrian bridge for the access road, not to mention relocating the Food Warehouse just for convenience.

Who knows, maybe it'll happen one day. I think all of us can agree this has been one of the most debated additions to the park. Then again, crazier things have happened...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 6:40 pm 

Can someone explain why this path is really necessary?

I realize the Gotham to USA hill is a steep hill. But this idea doesn't seem clear to me. For some reason?

More flats? Uhmm? The problem with more smaller rides, uses more employees. Would it not make better economic sense to get slightly larger ones?

I think, currently, man-power is an issue. If you get more rides, you need more people. So it needs to be something that will utilize man-power and guests. Meaning x-number guests using the attraction, for an amount of employees to run the attraction.

I'm not against flats. I even suggested them years ago. But now I see them in operation, as using more staff. And if they don't support enough guests, then it costs extra funds. If the flats only attract a few guests, the man-power could be used better somewhere else.

I don't want to see attractions closed, either. So there is a trade off. Shake, rattle and roll is still around? Yes?

I'd go with a new show theatre. And or, a medium ride. Maybe these where already suggested here?
Flats for the sake of flats? Uhmm...Not sure at this point. Another inside dark ride? I'd go for that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 7:33 pm 

Personally I dislike going down to Gotham because of the climb back up. And if it is wet, watch your step. It is a dead end. One way in and out.

You can cut queue for Batman in half. Enter where the fountain is. I think the path would help the go karts as more people would see them walking by as they are a bit tucked away.

You could move the queue for Thunder River along the path, come in from the other side and put something on the island in the middle of TR. Maybe a wild mouse coaster over the detention ponds.

I would love to see another dark ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: June 29th, 2011, 1:29 am 

Here's the problems with the idea of a pathway, for those who aren't up on the back of the house stuff. Red thick lines are where non guest paths already exist. These are also there for emergencies, such as fire and rescue. Yellow ovals are gates that would have to be removed. Red circles indicate things like the food warehouse, Thunder River maintenance, etc. Blue circle is for Go karts and for park vehicles to gas up. Also in the area pictured, (not circled) is the propane tank for the park. Also realize that the red path past the food warehouse is a good ten feet lower than Thunder River's average water level.

From talking with Melinda, she would love to do these things, (she really wants to get rid of the old lot) but this is an extreme long term goal of hers... we're talking twenty years plus. She'd rather expand out into the lot and get more parking for the Gold lot.

One other radical idea I had... most of the lower park is in a flood plain... what do cities do to protect themselves from flooding? Build levees. Surround that part of the park with a levee at the edge of property... heck, turn it into tunnels and build the park on top of it.

Can't put a dark ride down there until we fix the flooding issue. We'd ruin the animatronics every time it flooded. (About every three years or so.)

I hope this helps to clear things up... mods, if you feel this post is too revealing, please remove it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: June 29th, 2011, 8:02 am 

Why would the gates have to be removed. They are there to keep the public out. Just like they do now from the parking lot.

I was think about levees too but thought the cost might be a bit high

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: June 29th, 2011, 8:33 am 
Forum Moderator/Deliverer of Logic and Keeper of the Peace

Levees aren't a bad idea, but the thing is they'll probably have to deal with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers/FEMA, state, and local regulations (which can be very expensive).

Also, the park would also need to invest in a major pumping system to clear out the low lying areas of any water that accumulates in the "bowl" or bring in a tremendous amount of fill to bring the grade up, and divert water away from the park side of the levee.

A pumping system that would be similar to the ones that cities like New Orleans uses. Similar in function only.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: June 29th, 2011, 12:08 pm 

Sure do wish we still had the 2nd entrance where the go carts are. Would be great to be able to use the old lot for expansion, but really do have to do something about the flooding problem. Lots of great stuff would fit in that huge space.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: June 29th, 2011, 11:24 pm 

Mark, with the path you've laid out, guests would walk through the Food Warehouse to get to Lickskillet. Trust me... from doing patrols, NOT a good idea. It would be better to route a guest path down the red line from AA over to Lickskillet... but then you'll have to move the park's gas pump... which also means digging up the tank.

Gotham City was never designed for a second entrance or exit. To place a guest path down there would require a redesign of the west part of the area... doable, but not necessarily feasible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: June 29th, 2011, 11:46 pm 

Well my path was really wasn't planned to go through the warehouse - just beside it. It can go to either side. Space would be a bit tight between the warehouse and the arena. I thought the red line area was used for emergency vehicles.

Personally, I think if it started between Batman entrance and the bathroom would be best. This would require a shorter queue for Batman (which it needs). You don't need the long outdoor queue as you have covered queue space.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Moderators: Chris, Jackie, John Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next