Last visit was: It is currently June 21st, 2018, 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Monster Mansion's Condition
PostPosted: March 16th, 2015, 2:19 pm 

I was originally going to write a trip report concerning my trip to Six Flags Over Georgia on Sunday, March 15. However, the more I thought about it I decided to write about my disappointment concerning the current condition of Monster Mansion. It has been less than six years since our beloved Monster Plantation was converted to the current Monster Mansion. In that time I have seen things go down hill continually.

First, in the loading area, the cut outs of Phil Mendez’s original artwork are all beginning to warp. That, along with the discoloration and seaming of the Astroturf, creates an unpleasant exterior.

Into the first scene we were met with a “Monster Celebration Today” banner that is falling apart. The once pristine white floorboards upon which Papa Razzi is perched were covered with dirt and debris. Baseboards were pried from their positions and left dangling with exposed nails. Mizzy Scarlett’s poor body was twisted toward the fireplace and never even made eye contact with the boat. And, as always, our picture was actually taken about three seconds after the sound effect of our picture being taken.

Once through the double doors things seemed a little brighter. The monster frogs were spitting their water just fine, and the bubbles came cascading down per usual. A lot of the animatronics were operating, which was nice to see. The only animatronic I did not see working was the little skateboarder that zips around the cheerleaders. However, everything is looking quite shabby inside, as well. Billy Bob Fritter, along with a lot of the other monsters, could use a good fur cleaning and brushing. I’m also disappointed by the reversion back to colored lights over the last six years. White lights made everything look so good, now we’re slowing going back to the bad funhouse look.

The marsh looked a sounded good, but I wish someone would replace that one Marsh Rat’s spear, or torch, or whatever he was holding. He looks incredibly strange presently.

Finally, Fritter Bitter and Billy Bob could use a lot of work in the last scene. I’ve heard legends of smoke rings emitting from the cannon, but I for one have never seen that particular effect.

I will say that the horn honked when the boat eater monster sneezed, though. Finally the two were synched up.

I’m not sure why I have written this. I just absolutely adore Monster Mansion. I was thrilled when it was overhauled, and I’m sad when I see things that were once so well done fall into various states of disrepair. I know Monster Mansion has a dedicated crew of people that want it to be the best it can be, and that most of these problems lie within management and budget-cut limbo, but I still can’t help but be disappointed, especially when Monster Mansion was rehabbed so few years ago, and especially on opening weekend.

Good opening weekend overall, though. We had a lot of fun. Batman Backwards was amazing!

-Andy

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Monster Mansion's Condition
PostPosted: March 17th, 2015, 12:12 am 

Nice to read.
What can I say?

It's still way better off then before redone.
Ya' know?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Monster Mansion's Condition
PostPosted: March 17th, 2015, 3:24 pm 

I agree with you on that, 6.

I guess I'm just saying I wish maintenance standards had been higher for the last six years. Operation is of the utmost importance, but presentation is a close second, and that's where Monster Mansion is currently lacking. It's just mediocre show.

-Andy

Offline Profile