Last visit was: It is currently October 16th, 2018, 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Six Flags Over Georgia Railroad
PostPosted: November 20th, 2013, 11:44 am 

Fascinating project, Tim. Please keep posting pictures of your progress!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: January 5th, 2014, 2:16 pm 

I found this Johnny Cash documentary on the history of railroads, and they have a reenactment of the Great Locomotive Chase and the engines look like SFOG's General & Texas. I'm pretty sure they are just looking at them. Take a look for yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNPUZixJA-s
Skip to 10:09.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: January 5th, 2014, 2:27 pm 

It has been confirmed, on the trestle shot at 11:26 you can see the word "Six" which means that was the Lickskillet Trestle.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: January 5th, 2014, 3:42 pm 

That is a great find, steampower2001! It also lists SFOG in the credits at the end (around 51:30). I guess the whole segment on the General & the Texas was shot at the park.

When they stop the General for breakfast you can see a building in the background. Based on the curve of the track I am guessing it is Rabun Gap station. It is interesting to try to figure out where each scene was shot. Obviously some was at the Lickskillet trestle, and I think around Rabun Gap. Any other guesses as to where certain parts were shot? I believe it was made in 1975, and back then there were enough trees to make it look like the Georgia countryside. It would be hard to shoot it now without getting something else in the shot (not to mention the lack of steam now!).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 6:16 pm 

Yes, I noticed that. I think it is indeed Rabun Gap, not only because of the track, but the colors. You see a hint of green, which at that time was the stations color. I honestly don't like the new tan color. I'll miss the original green and white!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: February 21st, 2014, 9:19 pm 

Anyone want a train?
http://discoverlivesteam.com/discoverfo ... /index.htm

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2014, 9:25 pm 

Found an interesting picture this evening... http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr0106/cs0001.jpg Here, is Gretta, that ugly "steam" engine that came from SFFT. Does anyone remember this thing, or even know how long it was here? I don't recall ever seeing it here but, I do remember saying farewell to steam with the General sometime around when this was taken. Man I miss the sight and sound of steam...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2014, 10:24 pm 

I believe that "Greta" was at SFoG for 2 seasons...maybe 3.

If memory serves, as each steam engine went down for maintenance reasons, the park decided to not to repair them. Of course, they went down hill quickly because of lack of support for the steam program by park management.

"Greta" was brought in to keep the railroad open while the dieselized the "Texas". Once that was done, "Greta" was removed from the park.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 4:52 pm 

Ah, okay! I remember for some reason, I skipped going to the park annually for some unknown reason after the 2003 season. I later returned in 2008 only to find the dieseled Texas. Boy, was that a sad visit! After doing some more research this morning, I found this site that has pictures, and info on the "dark time" of the SFOGRR.
http://www.geocities.ws/sixflagsoveryou/sfrrfate.html
http://www.geocities.ws/sixflagsoveryou/sfrr.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: December 21st, 2014, 11:24 am 

Hey guys, it's been a while!

I took a recent trip to the park and noticed something very interesting sitting outside of the engine shed. Elizabeth, the engine from Opryland/Astroworld (which always sits on the wye back behind the shed) was sitting out in front of the engine shed with primer on... Anyone know what SFOG will be doing with the engine?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Moderators: Chris, Jackie, John Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next